Subject: (new) reproducible crash on mac os x

From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 00:15:37 -0500

hi all, when I compile emacs with -g only, it crash as soon as I try
to use it to read my mail using vm.  this is using most recent trunk
version on mac os x.  attached is the debugger output.  this depends
on my mail files and .emacs, so I cannot provide a simple example, but
can easily reproduce this crash myself as needed and run tests given
specific instructions.   I still get quite a few crashes with vm+trunk
version, so I am hoping that fixing this one will eliminate at least
some of them.  thanks for any help.  E

~ $ cd /usr/local/emacs/trunk/src/
/usr/local/emacs/trunk/src $ gdb ../nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1472) (Wed Jul 21 10:53:12 UTC 2010)
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries ............. done

DISPLAY = /tmp/launch-jALPBe/org.x:0
TERM = xterm-color
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4189374bb95c7f
Breakpoint 2 at 0x100135c21: file sysdep.c, line 840.
(gdb) run
Starting program:
/usr/local/emacs/trunk/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Reading symbols for shared libraries
.++++++++++++......................................................................................
done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00007fff5f3aeff8
0x00000001001a34b6 in mark_object (arg=4821717221) at alloc.c:5419
5419		mark_vectorlike (XVECTOR (obj));
(gdb) xbacktrace
"vm-number-messages"warning: Unable to restore previously selected frame.
Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfbc58)
"vm-do-needed-renumbering"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfc178)
Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
0x4d5a800 PVEC_COMPILED
"mapatoms"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfc838)
"vm-update-summary-and-mode-line"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfcd58)
"byte-code"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfd1c0)
"vm"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfd880)
"vm-my-open-folder-RMAIL"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfdc80)
"call-interactively"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfe0b8)
(gdb) backtrace full
#0  0x00007fff850bf704 in malloc_gdb_po_unsafe ()
No symbol table info available.

Lisp Backtrace:
"vm-number-messages"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfbc58)
"vm-do-needed-renumbering"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfc178)
Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
0x4d5a800 PVEC_COMPILED
"mapatoms"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfc838)
"vm-update-summary-and-mode-line"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfcd58)
"byte-code"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfd1c0)
"vm"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfd880)
"vm-my-open-folder-RMAIL"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1:
function: malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfdc80)
"call-interactively"Unsafe to call functions on thread 1: function:
malloc_gdb_po_unsafe on stack
warning: check_safe_call: could not restore current frame

warning: Canceling operation - malloc lock could be held on current thread.
 (0x5fbfe0b8)
(gdb) Quit
(gdb)