Subject: Re: bug#7987: 23.2; Refill error in message-mode

From: Jesse Sheidlower <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:14:54 -0500

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:41:19AM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Jesse Sheidlower <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > In the headers that are not dumped to Emacs. The default configuration
> > of Mutt has the headers edited through the Mutt interface, and only the
> > body is sent to your $EDITOR.
> 
> Then what you are editing is not a message and message-mode is not the
> right mode to use.

Well, what _is_ the right mode to use that handles refilling text that's
quoted with ">" characters, and coloring such text, and not really doing
anything else? I'd be happy to use that, or to add this capability to
text-mode by using hooks, or something.

When I first brought up the question in gnu.emacs.help, I specified that
I wasn't interested in the mail-handling capabilities of these modes, so
if 90% of the code of message-mode is wasted on me, I can't help that.

It's typical for Mutt users to use message-mode, mail-mode, or post-mode
for editing the body of e-mails, i.e. it's not just me who wants this
functionality. The fact that people use kludges to force message-mode
into behaving in the desired way, shows that there's a need for this.

Jesse