Subject: bug#7967: 23.2.93; keybindings should be echoed in *Message* buffer

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 03:18:36 +0100

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed Feb 2 2011 Glenn Morris wrote:
>> > Execute any command foo with a keybinding in its "long form" M-x foo.
>> > Emacs issues the message
>> >
>> >   You can run the command `foo' with ...
>> >
>> > The default is to display this message for two seconds.
>> > Then the message is gone for ever.
>>
>> You can use M-x where-is (C-h w) to bring it back whenever you like.
>
> It wasn't emacs if there were not all kind of alternative ways for
> this.  But why not put it into the *Message* buffer, too?
> I like these messages because my capacity for memorizing things is
> limited.

A very simple alternative for implementing this (without adding a new
option) is to allow negative numbers for suggest-key-bindings. If the
numbers are negative that would then mean that the message would be
stored in *Messages*.

Implementing it this way would be 2 or 3 lines of C code and a new
sentence in the doc string.