Subject: Re: bug#7967: 23.2.93; keybindings should be echoed in *Message* buffer

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 18:05:26 -0600

On Thu Feb 3 2011 Lennart Borgman wrote:
> Maybe it would still be good with a separate option for recording the
> suggestions in the *Messages* buffer?
> 
> I am not sure. To implement your suggestion all that is needed is to
> replace message2_nolog with message2 in Fexecute_extended_command in
> keyboard.c.

I am not aware that other emacs functions that issue messages
allowed one to configure separately whether the message appears in
the message area, and whether it will be recorded in the *Message*
buffer. Probably, this was discussed long time ago when the concept
of having the *Message* buffer was first introduced (and
execute-extended-command should follow here "the usual rules").

I thought that the possiblity to have messages that are not recorded
in the *Messages* buffer was mostly intended for things like
reporting operation progress, where it is rather unlikely one wants
to look back at individual messages.

But maybe I am overlooking something here.

Roland