Subject: bug#7962: 23.2; capitalize / ISO 8859 / UNIBYTE / utf-8 backward compatibility

From: Emmanuel Bigler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:22:14 +0100

Le 04/02/2011 09:09, Emmanuel Bigler a écrit :
> Now the last test is to enter fresh letters in 2-byte, capitalize them,
> do not switch bak to unibyet display, save the file, exits emacs,  and
> see what happens when re-loaded/displayed as unibyte.

I just did this test.

After loading the old unibyte file, toggling 2-byte display on, I 
entered freshly typed letters with a diacritic sign. Did not toggle back 
to unibyte, and saved buffer - killed emacs.
Re-loaded emacs <myfile> ; note that in my .emacs I have nothing to 
force emacs to be unibyte.
The results is that old unibyte letters are displayed correctly, new 
2-bytes letters appear 2-byte. Hence emacs is smart enough to stay 
unibyte when he starts reading unibyte code. Nothing is lost : *great*.
However,  new letters added at the end of the file in the previous 
2-byte session show as 2-byte in unibyte displayed, and were stored as 
2-byte when stores under the  "2-byte display" setting. Nothing but 
normal, after all.

However mixing 2-byte an 1-byte code is definitely something annoying to me.

Hence I'll probably stay 100% unibyte until emacs forces me to be 
"modern" ;-)

--
Emmanuel