Subject: bug#7962: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 with diacritic signs in emacs 23.2.1

From: Emmanuel Bigler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:00:29 +0100

Le 03/02/2011 22:19, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
>> Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:49:22 +0100
>> From: Emmanuel Bigler<[email-masked]>
>> Cc:
>>
>> However I am reluctant to switch to UTF-8 for all my texts in English,
>> German, French, even Icelandic etc... i.e. Western European languages,
>> the only ones I'll ever typeset, which are perfectly handled in
>> unibyte iso-8859-1.
>
> You seem to assume that going multibyte requires that your files be
> encoded in UTF-8.  That simply isn't true.  The files can continue be
> encoded in ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15; Emacs will decode them into its
> internal representation when you visit the file and encode it back
> when you save it.  You lose nothing.
>

OK Eli. I'm trying to understand and this is a bit tricky.
Now I'm entering into **very** strange things ; I hope somebody can 
explain what's going on. This is emacs 23.2.93.1

1/ in an emacs buffer I load a test-file created years ago with a 
program, a list of unibyte characters that I display as iso-8859-1. All 
characters are displayed properly.

2/ I (toggle-enable-multibyte-characters nil) : unibyte characters 
already present in the files do not change and are displayed correctly.
I type a fresh sequence of letters with diacritic signs at the end of 
the buffer : OK. I toggle back to unibyte : freshly entered letters 
appear as 2-byte sequences. OK

3/ now I cut-paste a line of the  old unibyte file and enter a fresh 
letter with diacritic sign in thye middel of this line ; I'm still in 
2-byte codeing/display : the letter entered in the middle of unibytes 
seems to stay unibyte !!
Is this a bug, a feature, or misconceptions / misunderstandings on my 
side ??

------------

 From Sven :
 > IMO offering to convert them to UTF-8 would be more helpful.  The
 > legacy encodings ought to die some day.

Exactly like legacy software should die some day ; (ahem) : who said : 
"exacty like emacs, an old and obsolete software, that I've been using 
for 25 years..." ;-);-)

--

Emmanuel