Subject: Re: bug#7962: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 with diacritic signs in emacs 23.2.1

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 23:35:37 +0100

On 2011-02-03 23:22 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Sven Joachim <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> For reliability, yes.  Otherwise Emacs cannot really know the encoding
>> and has to guess if a byte with value 164 means ¤ (ISO-8859-1) or €
>> (ISO-8859-15), for instance.  Converting the files to UTF-8 solves this
>> ambiguity, of course.
>
>
> Is it sure that Emacs in the future will always do the same guess
> about encoding for files that have no explicit coding in them?

This is not even the case today, depending on your locale environment
Emacs will guess differently for ¤/€.

> If not then perhaps it would be good to add a function to emacs that
> helps users add comments about explicit coding to a bunch of files.

IMO offering to convert them to UTF-8 would be more helpful.  The legacy
encodings ought to die some day.

Cheers,
       Sven