Subject: bug#7962: closed (Re: bug#7962: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 [SOLVED, MANY THANKS TO ALL])

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:56:01 +0000

Your bug report

#7962: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 with diacritic signs in emacs 23.2.1

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7962: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7962
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7962: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 [SOLVED, MANY THANKS TO ALL]
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Emmanuel Bigler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 11:04:09 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> EMACS_UNIBYTE set in your environment variables.  If that's the case,
> *THANKS, Stefan !*

> I had this (!!$£%!µÞÐ¬¬!!) variable set in my shell environment
> variables from older emacs releases.

FWIW, I did point you there a dozen email ago already.
Anyway, thanks for confirming,

        Stefan

Subject: 23.2; capitalize letters ISO-8859-1 with diacritic signs in emacs 23.2.1
From: Emmanuel Bigler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 11:35:52 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

----------- bug ?? or feature ?? ----------------------

Hello from France !

I have been using emacs for decades and in a previous version emacs 22
the function capitalize word used to work properly with the European
character set ISO-8859-1

For example
capitalize word on éèçàù used to supply Éèçàù
upcase word on éèçàù used to supply ÉÈÇÀÙ

Now under emacs 23.2.1 the same action does not seem to work, only
the ASCII-7-bit set is properly capitalized or up-cased.

-- 
Emmanuel BIGLER
<[email-masked]>

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.4)
  of 2010-07-08 on x86-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10903000
configured using `configure  '--build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 
'--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' 
'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' 
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' 
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' 
'--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' 
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 
'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe 
-Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector 
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i686 -mtune=atom 
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-optimize-sibling-calls''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: fr_FR.ISO8859-1
   value of $LC_COLLATE: fr_FR.ISO8859-1
   value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_FR.ISO8859-1
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.ISO8859-1
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
   locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   view-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b v 8 <return> é è ç à ù <home> <escape> c <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-x d t m p <return> s <C-home>
<down> <down> <down> <down> v <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-SPC <end>
<escape> w <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/preview-latex.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading lpr...done
Loading /home/bigler/divers.eb/p/webpdebut.el (source)...done
Loading /home/bigler/.emacs_last_dir...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
View mode: type <help> for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/lisp/font-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
~/emacs/lisp/bookmode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/bookmode
~/emacs/lisp/sshell hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/sshell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/maxima-modes hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/site_start.d/maxima-modes

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message idna ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug mule-util latin1-disp latex
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex advice help-fns advice-preload
dired ispell sendmail ange-ftp regexp-opt comint ring ps-print ps-def
lpr info view server cus-edit easymenu wid-edit cus-start cus-load
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads disp-table tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)