Subject: bug#796: 23.0.60; UTF-8 display

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:58:07 +0800

Dieter Faulbaum wrote:
> 2. the matrix-braces aren't well aligned
> 3. the box around "typography in plain text files" isn't well aligned
> 5. the box drawing alignment tests (at the end) aren't okay
>   

These 3 are probably caused by different width fonts being used for 
different characters. You need to set your default font to something 
that at least covers all the box drawing characters if you want those 
tests to align properly.

In my case, Emacs chooses a Japanese font for the box characters, which 
contains double-width glyphs for the single line box drawing characters, 
and single-width characters for the double line box drawing characters, 
so the alignment is really messed up.

> If you need a screenshot of this as an example, I can send it. But maybe
> a "self test" should be enough to see what I mean.
>   

It really depends on which fonts are installed on the tester's machine, 
and which font they use as the default font. I see some of what you are 
complaining about, but not others.