Subject: bug#7956: 24.0.50; xft:-B&H-LucidaTypewriter-normal-normal-normal-Sans-10-*-*-*-m-60-iso10646-1 rendered to presumingly 1 pt

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 01:00:44 +0100

The behaviour does not seem to be caused by any setting in my init  
file. Or the system's. The former I proved my saving my .emacs file  
under a different name and by 'touch ~/.emacs', creating an empty init  
file. The latter I proved by simply saving site-start.el under a  
different name.

GNU Emacs then shows a welcome message with GNU Emacs logo, a few  
hyper-links to documentation, and below a red text on the left side  
the start of the fringe – which is already distorted. The mode-line  
also does not show legible text. See the attached screen shot.

So it could be – must be – an X resource! By starting with an empty  
~/.Xresources file (~/.Xdefaults is not read!) the effect becomes  
visible with this X resource:

	Emacs.font: -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75- 
m-60-iso10646-1

Changing the encoding iso8859-1 makes no change, xfd and xterm display/ 
use the fonts. No problems come from:

-*-courier 10 pitch-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1 (C-u C-x =  
names xft:-bitstream-Courier 10 Pitch-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*- 
m-0-iso10646-1)
-*-courier new-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1 (C-u C-x =  
names xft:-monotype-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-0- 
iso10646-1)
-*-luxi mono-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1 (C-u C-x = names  
xft:-b&h-Luxi Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1)
-*-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1 (C-u C-x  
= names xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*- 
m-0-iso10646-1)

The font -*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1 (C-u C-x  
= names xft:-Adobe-Courier-normal-normal-normal-*-10-*-*-*-m-60- 
iso10646-1) behaves like Lucida Sans Typewriter.

No problems seem to come from using fontconfig names.

--
Greetings

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities  
in our air and water that are doing it.