Subject: bug#7949: 24.0.50; GNU Emacs with Xaw3d does not launch as X client

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:29:32 +0100

Am 03.02.2011 um 14:47 schrieb Jan Djärv:

> It turns out that XtCloseDisplay also calls XSync.  I removed all  
> XSync from the error handler.

During the first tries (with gdb and command line) something's seemed  
faulty: GNU Emacs did launch! Presumingly because I have two X  
resources:

Emacs*pane.menubar.font:       -linotype-optima-black-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*- 
*-iso8859-1
Emacs.pane.menubar.faceName:   Libris ADF Std-9:style=Bold

The latter one was the effective one, overriding the "-xrm  
'*pane.menubar.font: -linotype-optima-black-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*- 
iso10646-1'". Removing this resource brings back the previous  
behaviour! Here are the lower 60 % of the *gud-emacs-...* buffer:

Breakpoint 1 at 0x9134abc0

Breakpoint 3, x_connection_closed (dpy=0x3834e00,  
error_message=0xbfffb178 "X protocol error: BadValue (integer  
parameter out of range for operation) on protocol request 45") at  
xterm.c:7689
(gdb) p error_message
$1 = 0xbfffb178 "X protocol error: BadValue (integer parameter out of  
range for operation) on protocol request 45"
(gdb) bt
#0  x_connection_closed (dpy=0x3834e00, error_message=0xbfffb178 "X  
protocol error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for  
operation) on protocol request 45") at xterm.c:7689
#1  0x0012a988 in x_error_quitter (display=0x3834e00,  
error=0xbfffb388) at xterm.c:7837
#2  0x0012a8c8 in x_error_handler (display=0x3834e00,  
error=0xbfffb388) at xterm.c:7807
#3  0x00783b38 in _XError ()
#4  0x007802f8 in handle_error ()
#5  0x007805e4 in handle_response ()
#6  0x007810c0 in _XReply ()
#7  0x0075db74 in _XQueryFont ()
#8  0x0075edd8 in XLoadQueryFont ()
#9  0x0061192c in XtCvtStringToFontStruct ()
#10 0x0060e958 in CallConverter ()
#11 0x0060ef2c in _XtConvert ()
#12 0x0062da60 in GetResources ()
#13 0x0062e124 in _XtGetResources ()
#14 0x00614b14 in xtCreate ()
#15 0x006151cc in _XtCreateWidget ()
#16 0x00615288 in XtCreateWidget ()
#17 0x0030ac24 in xlw_create_menubar (instance=0x187d160) at lwlib- 
Xlw.c:151
#18 0x00309488 in instantiate_widget_instance (instance=0x187d160)  
at .../emacs-24.0.50/lwlib/lwlib.c:814
#19 0x00307f48 in allocate_widget_instance (info=0x1866230,  
parent=0x1851640, pop_up_p=0 '\0') at .../emacs-24.0.50/lwlib/lwlib.c: 
308
#20 0x0030965c in lw_make_widget (id=1, parent=0x1851640, pop_up_p=0  
'\0') at .../emacs-24.0.50/lwlib/lwlib.c:858
#21 0x0030971c in lw_create_widget (type=0x318a80 "menubar",  
name=0x318a80 "menubar", id=1, val=0x1807e30, parent=0x1851640,  
pop_up_p=0 '\0', pre_activate_cb=0x7ff38 <popup_activate_callback>,  
selection_cb=0x8011c <menubar_selection_callback>,  
post_activate_cb=0x7ff90 <popup_deactivate_callback>,  
highlight_cb=0x8007c <menu_highlight_callback>) at .../emacs-24.0.50/ 
lwlib/lwlib.c:874
#22 0x000811ac in set_frame_menubar (f=0x184afd0, first_time=1,  
deep_p=1) at xmenu.c:1213
#23 0x000813b4 in initialize_frame_menubar (f=0x184afd0) at xmenu.c:1280
#24 0x0013bb18 in Fx_create_frame (parms=23062686) at xfns.c:3415
#25 0x00247988 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffda20) at eval.c:2842
#26 0x002b40a0 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3588769, vector=3588789,  
maxdepth=20) at bytecode.c:676
#27 0x00248670 in funcall_lambda (fun=3588733, nargs=1,  
arg_vector=0xbfffdda4) at eval.c:3028
#28 0x00247d10 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffdda0) at eval.c:2891
#29 0x002b40a0 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3926489, vector=3926509,  
maxdepth=24) at bytecode.c:676
#30 0x00248670 in funcall_lambda (fun=3926461, nargs=1,  
arg_vector=0xbfffe124) at eval.c:3028
#31 0x00247d10 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffe120) at eval.c:2891
#32 0x002b40a0 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3923825, vector=3923845,  
maxdepth=24) at bytecode.c:676
#33 0x00248670 in funcall_lambda (fun=3923797, nargs=0,  
arg_vector=0xbfffe4a4) at eval.c:3028
#34 0x00247d10 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffe4a0) at eval.c:2891
#35 0x002b40a0 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3625865, vector=3625885,  
maxdepth=28) at bytecode.c:676
#36 0x00248670 in funcall_lambda (fun=3625845, nargs=0,  
arg_vector=0xbfffe824) at eval.c:3028
#37 0x00247d10 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffe820) at eval.c:2891
#38 0x002b40a0 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3623289, vector=3623309,  
maxdepth=24) at bytecode.c:676
#39 0x00248670 in funcall_lambda (fun=3623269, nargs=0,  
arg_vector=0xbfffeb10) at eval.c:3028
#40 0x00248108 in apply_lambda (fun=3623269, args=41949218,  
eval_flag=1) at eval.c:2954
#41 0x00246100 in Feval (form=23060102) at eval.c:2296
#42 0x00172578 in top_level_2 () at keyboard.c:1138
#43 0x00243804 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x172544  
<top_level_2>, handlers=41977714, hfun=0x171ea4 <cmd_error>) at eval.c: 
1408
#44 0x00172600 in top_level_1 (ignore=41949218) at keyboard.c:1146
#45 0x00242f4c in internal_catch (tag=41975810, func=0x172598  
<top_level_1>, arg=41949218) at eval.c:1152
#46 0x00172430 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1101
#47 0x00171658 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:731
#48 0x0017194c in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:793
#49 0x0016ef54 in main (argc=5, argv=0xbffff6e4) at emacs.c:1682

Lisp Backtrace:
"x-create-frame" (0xbfffda24)
"x-create-frame-with-faces" (0xbfffdda4)
"make-frame" (0xbfffe124)
"frame-initialize" (0xbfffe4a4)
"command-line" (0xbfffe824)
"normal-top-level" (0xbfffeb10)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists  
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
		– Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and Hobbes