Subject: bug#7949: 24.0.50; GNU Emacs with Xaw3d does not launch as X client

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:41:46 +0100

Am 02.02.2011 um 20:36 schrieb Jan Djärv:

> 45 is X_OpenFont.  The font the menu bar tries to open is
> -*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> What happens if you do
> % xterm -fn '-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'
> or
> % xfd -fn '-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'
> ?

With these fonts, and also in iso10646-1 encoding (LANG and LC_CTYPE  
have UTF-8), it's all OK. But I found that the font from this X resource

	Emacs*pane.menubar.font:	-linotype-optima-black-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

makes problems. Xfd and xterm report (their windows don't appear on  
screen):

	X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range  
for operation)
	  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
	  Value in failed request:  0x1400014
	  Serial number of failed request:  37
	  Current serial number in output stream:  38

When I select it in xfontsel manually, xfontsel disappears from screen  
with a similar report (major opcode is the same). Removing the  
resource lets all Xaw3d Emacsen launch again...

Either

	Emacs*pane.menubar.font:	-linotype-optima-black-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

took precedence over

	Emacs.pane.menubar.faceName:	Libris ADF Std-9:style=Bold

after the X server upgrade or the X server cannot use

	/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/OptimaBold.ttf
	/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/OptimaBoldItalic.ttf
	/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/OptimaExtraBlack.ttf
	/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/OptimaItalic.ttf
	/sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf/OptimaRegular.ttf

anymore, which were created from Apple's /Library/Fonts/Optima.dfont  
with fondu. FontForge has no problem with all five TT fonts and  
Apple's fonts package as well.

In fontconfig I have a configuration mistake because fc-list shows  
that family names come from the DFONT *and* the TTF files. Could this  
cause the failure, could GNU Emacs switch from X server as "fonts  
provider" to libfontconfig when the name is given as XLFD?

'-linotype-optima-black-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' once worked! Otherwise  
I would not have chosen it; I first try to see that the X resource  
setting actually works and does what I want to have as effect.

Jan, thank you for guiding me to this detection!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Well begun is half done.
			– Optimist.
Half done is well begun.
			– Realist.
Half begun is well done.
			– Australian.