Subject: bug#7949: 24.0.50; GNU Emacs with Xaw3d does not launch as X client

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:59:15 +0100

Hello!

After installing a series of updates to the X.Org server on my Mac I  
cannot launch (any) GNU Emacs version that used Xaw3d as X client. It  
works to launch it without windows, or as the NS variant – or with  
GTK-2! I reported this to Jeremy Huddleston, an employee of Apple,  
presumingly, who develops X11 for Mac OS X. He found some details and  
started a thread in the xorg-devel list in which he speculates that  
something in the GNU Emacs code might be faulty ("2) emacs' error  
handler seems bugged. Is it legal to call XSync() within the error  
handler? It certainly seems like it shouldn't. Did we used to actually  
support this with the xtrans version of libX11?")
– http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2011-January/018750.html.

Interestingly gv, which uses Xaw3d as well, can easily launch...

(Before the updates I could launch all GNU Emacs versions with Xaw3d  
toolkit.)

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´