Subject: bug#79481: global-hl-line buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2025 08:01:15 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2025 20:05:20 +0300
> 
> Recently we added 'tab-line-exclude-buffers'
> that is checked by 'buffer-match-p'.
> 
> Shouldn't we now rename 'global-hl-line-modes' to something like
> 'global-hl-line-buffers' and use 'buffer-match-p', given that it was
> added in 31.1, so there is no need to provide an alias for deprecation.

What is the plan here?  Are we going to do something like that with
all the globalized modes? only with some of them? if the latter, which
ones?

IOW, if there's an intent to make similar changes in other minor
modes, we should probably discuss some general mechanism for doing
that, before we go out and make the changes one mode at a time.  One
question that I'd like answered is how come we never needed anything
like that until now?