Subject: Re: bug#79470: [PATCH] backward-sentence: Fix inaccuracy in manual's description

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2025 07:49:58 +0200

ERIC Frederickson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The patch attached to this message corrects a small inaccuracy in the
> description of the 'backward-sentence' command in
> doc/emacs/text.texi (Sentences).
>
> When describing the behavior of 'backward-sentence', the manual states
> that this command leaves point "just before the first character of the
> sentence".  This is incorrect, as 'backward-sentence' actually leaves
> point _on_ the first character of the sentence.

Hi Eric,

I think that "just before" is also correct because the point of
insertion *really is* just before the first character of the sentence.
And IMO, in this regard, "just before" is more precise than "on the
character".

> When I first saw this, I thought I had to be missing something, but
> after reading through adjacent docs to make sure I had the right
> interpretation of point being "on" a character vs "before"/"after" it,
> and then multi-checking that I wasn't simply misreading the manual, I
> came to the conclusion that patching this description to use the word
> "on" instead of the words "just before" would be worthwhile.

Do you have example of such usage of "on"?
-- 
Manuel Giraud