Subject: bug#79468: libtool-2.6.0 released [alpha]

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2025 18:03:59 +0300

Libtoolers!

The Libtool Team is pleased to announce the release of libtool 2.6.0, a 
alpha release.

GNU Libtool hides the complexity of using shared libraries behind a
consistent, portable interface. GNU Libtool ships with GNU libltdl, which
hides the complexity of loading dynamic runtime libraries (modules)
behind a consistent, portable interface.

Here is the announcement on Savannah:
     https://savannah.gnu.org/news/?id=10814

There have been 68 commits by 19 people in the 43 weeks since 2.5.4.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

   Anthony Mallet (1)
   Bruno Haible (2)
   Christian Feld (1)
   Collin Funk (1)
   Elizabeth Figura (1)
   Evgeny Grin (1)
   Frédéric Bérat (1)
   Gleb Popov (1)
   Ileana Dumitrescu (47)
   Julien ÉLIE (1)
   Karl Berry (1)
   Kirill Makurin (1)
   Manoj Gupta (1)
   Martin Storsjö (1)
   Michael Haubenwallner (2)
   Mintsuki (1)
   Mitch (1)
   Pierre Ossman (2)
   Takashi Yano (1)

Ileana
  [on behalf of the libtool maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU libtool home page:
     https://gnu.org/s/libtool/

Here are the compressed sources:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.6.0.tar.gz   (2.1MB)
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.6.0.tar.xz   (1.1MB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.6.0.tar.gz.sig
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.6.0.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
   https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Here are the SHA1 and SHA256 checksums:

   File: libtool-2.6.0.tar.gz
   SHA1 sum:   681b41409762acb07232d7af7c289cc8a2f851c9
   SHA256 sum: 
ac9d4b8e072aa20d030d5ae039aba3b52bd7967b09e0c21f91f3e3dc1bbb8755

   File: libtool-2.6.0.tar.xz
   SHA1 sum:   dff32acab30a9262d19c3559092c2415b6a2b23e
   SHA256 sum: 
69e6d28ae880fda08e0dc080ef2e38077ea2765a0d84e1afcfcfe1e605c911ac

Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

   gpg --verify libtool-2.6.0.tar.gz.sig

The signature should match the fingerprint of the following key:

   pub   rsa4096 2021-09-23 [SC]
         FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22  B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
or that public key has expired, try the following commands to retrieve
or refresh it, and then rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

   gpg --locate-external-key [email-masked]

   gpg --recv-keys 6570EA01146F7354

   wget -q -O- 
'https://savannah.gnu.org/project/release-gpgkeys.php?group=libtool&download=1' 
| gpg --import -

As a last resort to find the key, you can try the official GNU
keyring:

   wget -q https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-keyring.gpg
   gpg --keyring gnu-keyring.gpg --verify libtool-2.6.0.tar.gz.sig

This release is based on the libtool git repository, available as

   git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/libtool.git

with commit e40fdc22cf727fb885f9df7d9affa827e3253d1c tagged as v2.6.0.

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:

   https://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.6.0

or run this command from a git-cloned libtool directory:

   git shortlog v2.5.4..v2.6.0

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
   Autoconf 2.72e
   Automake 1.18.1
   Gnulib 2025-07-29 f0773a994eb75ceeeb44e39145c842044357a1ad

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.6.0 (2025-09-18) [alpha]

** New features:

   - Add a new tool, libtool-next-version, to guide users through updating
     library versions.

   - Add tagging for Objective-C and Objective-C++, OBJC and OBJCXX.

   - Increase 5 digit limit on revision value for libraries to 19 digits,
     which is referencing Unix epoch time in nanoseconds.

   - Add configuration options to choose whether to use '-nostdlib' to let
     the compiler frontend decide what standard libraries to link when
     building C++ shared libraries and modules, --enable-cxx-stdlib and
     --disable-cxx-stdlib.

   - Allow statically linking GCC and Clang compiler support libraries
     into shared libraries.

   - Add linking clang_rt static archives compiler internal libraries by
     their absolute path.

   - Set 'mklink' as the symlinking tool for MSVC.

   - Pass '--target' architecture flag for Clang.

   - Support MSYS and MSYS2 file path conversions.

** Bug fixes:

   - Fix wrongly deduplicated compiler dependencies on linux.

   - Fix NetBSD postdeps for shared libraries.

   - Fix statically linking dependencies into shared C++ libraries when
     utilizing clang builtins or g++ options like, -static-libstdc++, by
     using a new configuration option, --enable-cxx-stdlib.

   - Ensure *-linux-mlibc host matches to mlibc userland rather than
     matching to GNU/Linux and similar userlands.

   - Fix hang with cmd.exe in MSYS.

   - For MSVC, fix mishandling compiler flags, symlinking, cl.exe '.exp'
     extension collision, symbol names, and numerous testsuite bugs.

   - Fix undeclared reference to access on Windows in libltdl.

   - Fix flang -Wl flags on FreeBSD.

   - Fix reordering '--as-needed' flag.

   - Fix libltdl early failures for multi-arch.

** Changes in supported systems or compilers:

   - Support additional Intel OneAPI compilers, 'icx', 'icpx', and 'ifx'.

   - Support ML64 (Microsoft Macro Assembler).

Enjoy!

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354