Subject: [PATCH] term: Add 'term-other-window' command

From: ERIC Frederickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 20:41:50 -0500

Hello everyone,

The patch attached to this message adds a command to lisp/term.el called
'term-other-window', which is a sibling command to 'term' but which
opens the *terminal* buffer in another window.

I think that the functionality of having a terminal emulator pop to
another window can be extremely useful to those who use a terminal
emulator within their text editor, and would hence be a great thing to
ship with Emacs's built-in 'term' package. Additionally, I think that
this addition would be especially useful to people coming to Emacs from
other text/code editing environments such as VS Code, wherein the
"pop-up terminal" / "split terminal" workflow is very widely used and is
seen as standard.

If this patch is well received, I'd like to follow it up by sending an
RFC patch to [email-masked] proposing to bind this new command to
"C-x 4 t", as I think that having 'term-other-window' bound to a key by
default would make pop-up terminal users feel very comfortable on an
out-of-the-box Emacs installation.

Note: I'm currently waiting on a response for my FSF copyright
assignment, so if someone would like to install this patch, please ask
me to confirm that my assignment has been completed before installing.

Thank you,
--
Eric Frederickson
https://emfred.com