Subject: 31.0.50; Docstring of dired-find-subdir confuses the values

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2025 08:15:30 +0200

Hello,

unless I'm somehow confused...

the docstring of dired-find-subdir says:

| If non-nil, Dired always finds a directory in a buffer of its own.
| If nil, Dired finds the directory as a subdirectory in some other buffer
| if it is present as one.

But if you look at `dired-find-buffer-nocreate', you see that it's
exactly the other way round.  Also the plain name suggests the opposite
meaning.  Look: In

0a44133e626 "(dired-find-subdir): Doc fix." (Richard M. Stallman <[email-masked]> 1994-10-26)

this part of the docstring has been changed, the docstring version
before that commit started with

| *If non-nil, Dired does not make a new buffer for a directory if it
| can be found (perhaps as subdir) in some existing Dired buffer.

which was correct.  The new version looks like a typo.  Or I just don't
understand the words of the recent version.

TIA,

Michael.