Subject: bug#79433: 9.7: cp(1): lchownat(2/3) fallback bogus?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 19:26:52 +0200

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20250917164611.JO87MYf4@steffen%sdaoden.eu>:
 ...
 |Fakeroot fails to chown but ignores the error, yet the failed
 |system call avoids getting the filestamp updated.  Maybe fakeroot
 |should "simply" perform the task with the original user and group,
 |which are available, in order to make timestamp updates happen?
 ...

i asked clint(AT)debian thus

  If intercepted system calls try to chown() to the very user and
  group that fakeroot reported that a file has, and the stat cache
  gives a hot entry for the file thus, wouldn't it make sense to
  assume that "something like the above" is the desire of the
  programmer?
  "Faking" the operation in such a context does not appear overly
  grazy to me?  What do you think?

--steffen
|
|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter           he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)