Subject: bug#7943: closed (Re: bug#7943: white background is color #e5e5e5 in terminal window)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 01:55:56 -0500

> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 01:29:11 -0500
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Let's try again: what is the bug, please?  Your original description,
> viz.:
> 
>    white background is color #e5e5e5 in terminal window
> 
> is not a bug.  Surely, the problem is not that Emacs considers the
> white color as having this specific RGB value.  That cannot possibly
> be the immediate problem for you; perhaps you think that is what
> _causes_ the problem.  But what is the problem itself? what do you see
> that you think is wrong?

And a couple more questions: 

  . What version of Emacs did you have before this one, that didn't
    have this problem (whatever "the problem" is)?

  . If you are using Emacs on Apple Terminal, why do you set TERM to
    "xterm" or "xterm-color"?  Are there any reasons to believe that
    the Apple Terminal is a faithful enough emulation of xterm?  (You
    say that on a real xterm, everything works fine.)

Finally, could you please try a newer version of Emacs?  v23.1 is
quite old; v23.3 was released a few days ago, and in v23.2 there were
several important changes in xterm.el, which may or may not solve your
problem.