Subject: bug#7943: white background is color #e5e5e5 in terminal window

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 06:00:50 +0200

> From: Warren Harris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:55:13 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > But that's the most white color that your terminal can produce.
> > xterm.el doesn't _tell_ the terminal what color to produce for
> > "white", it only _documents_ (sort of) what that color is, in terms of
> > RGB components.
> >
> 
> I don't think so. The terminal is perfectly "brightwhite" before emacs
> starts. This is definitely an emacs bug.

Then perhaps you or someone else could suggest how to do that in
Emacs.

> > > and there's no way I can see to set the background to brightwhite.
> >
> > I don't think you can, not for the background.  But I'm not an expert
> > on xterm.
> >
> 
> I know that older emacs version didn't have this problem either.

The code I showed exists since 2002, and it was not changed since
written.  If you know which older Emacs version didn't behave like
this, I'd be interested to know which one.

> BTW, this is a bug when using Apple Terminal, not xterm. xterm seems
> to work fine (whether the TERM is 'xterm' or 'xterm-color').

What do you see Emacs display in xterm for the colors?  I tried that
before I responded to you the first time, and saw the same E5E5E5
value.

> The idea was to replace "white" with the correct values, 255 255 255.

I don't think it will change anything, because Emacs turns on tty
colors by their index (a small number between 0 and 7 or 15), not by
their RGB values.  If you succeed, please reopen the bug and tell what
changes were needed for that.