Subject: bug#79424: 30.2; shell-mode doesn't hide password

From: André A. Gomes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 15:15:20 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am using OpenSSH_9.9p1 on the host machine and OpenSSH_9.7p1 on the
>> VM.
>>
>> Here's an example of the prompt:
>>
>> $ ssh aadcg@localhost -p 2222
>> (aadcg@localhost) Password for aadcg@freebsd:
>>
>> The prompt above differs from the usual prompt when connecting to
>> another host.  It's the first time I came across a prompt of the form
>> "(user@host) Password for user@host:".
>
> Thanks. However, I don't understand what you mean with your commit subject
>
> "Subject: [PATCH] Make comint understand SSH proxy password phrases."
>
> Which kind of proxy do you have configured in ssh?

What I called "proxy" (perhaps incorrectly) is the port forwarding
mentioned below.  I can refactor the commit message, or you may edit it
as you see fit.

>> I remind you that I am running a VM with qemu where I'm passing "-net
>> user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22".  This maps the localhost port 2222 to port
>> 22 on the VM, so that I can connect to the VM via "ssh user@host -p
>> 2222".  Let me know if you understood the setup.
>
> I understand, but I cannot set it up locally w/o too much effort. And
> I'd like to know whether the changed password prompt comes from this
> port forwarding, or from something else you have configured in ssh.

I haven't configured ssh in any particular way, so it comes from the
port forwarding.  Note that, earlier in this thread, a user confirmed my
bug report.  In short, the patch enriches comint-password-prompt-regexp
to take this password prompt into account.  Maybe there is a simpler way
to reproduce it, but I am unaware of it.

Does that make sense?

-- 
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."