Subject: Re: bug#79424: 30.2; shell-mode doesn't hide password

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 14:54:43 +0200

André A. Gomes <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'll try to reproduce the problem. I have "OpenSSH_9.9p1, OpenSSL 3.2.4
>> 11 Feb 2025", and it shows me the default "user@host's password: "
>> prompt, although I have configured ProxyJump.
>>
>> Could you please tell me which ssh version you are using? Could you
>> please show me an example prompt as it appears to you? Is it the same
>> prompt, when you connect to another host without a proxy?
>
> I am using OpenSSH_9.9p1 on the host machine and OpenSSH_9.7p1 on the
> VM.
>
> Here's an example of the prompt:
>
> $ ssh aadcg@localhost -p 2222
> (aadcg@localhost) Password for aadcg@freebsd:
>
> The prompt above differs from the usual prompt when connecting to
> another host.  It's the first time I came across a prompt of the form
> "(user@host) Password for user@host:".

Thanks. However, I don't understand what you mean with your commit subject

"Subject: [PATCH] Make comint understand SSH proxy password phrases."

Which kind of proxy do you have configured in ssh?

> I remind you that I am running a VM with qemu where I'm passing "-net
> user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22".  This maps the localhost port 2222 to port
> 22 on the VM, so that I can connect to the VM via "ssh user@host -p
> 2222".  Let me know if you understood the setup.

I understand, but I cannot set it up locally w/o too much effort. And
I'd like to know whether the changed password prompt comes from this
port forwarding, or from something else you have configured in ssh.

> Thank you again.

Best regards, Michael.