Subject: Re: bug#79424: 30.2; shell-mode doesn't hide password

From: André A. Gomes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2025 16:40:43 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'll try to reproduce the problem. I have "OpenSSH_9.9p1, OpenSSL 3.2.4
> 11 Feb 2025", and it shows me the default "user@host's password: "
> prompt, although I have configured ProxyJump.
>
> Could you please tell me which ssh version you are using? Could you
> please show me an example prompt as it appears to you? Is it the same
> prompt, when you connect to another host without a proxy?

I am using OpenSSH_9.9p1 on the host machine and OpenSSH_9.7p1 on the
VM.

Here's an example of the prompt:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ssh aadcg@localhost -p 2222
(aadcg@localhost) Password for aadcg@freebsd:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The prompt above differs from the usual prompt when connecting to
another host.  It's the first time I came across a prompt of the form
"(user@host) Password for user@host:".

I remind you that I am running a VM with qemu where I'm passing "-net
user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22".  This maps the localhost port 2222 to port
22 on the VM, so that I can connect to the VM via "ssh user@host -p
2222".  Let me know if you understood the setup.

Thank you again.

-- 
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."