Subject: 30.2; emacs yanks wrong string after "bbb.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)"

From: Akira Shirai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2025 08:16:55 +0900

1. emacs -Q

2. Put "aaa" in the kill ring
(a) type aaa in *scratch* buffer
(b) Type C-a and C-k

3. Create bbb.txt
(a) Type M-x eval-expression, then type (shell-command "echo ccc > bbb.txt")

4. Visit bbb.txt
(a) Type C-x C-f
=> Find file: ~/
(b) type bbb.txt

5. Update bbb.txt
(a) Type M-x eval-expression, then type (shell-command "echo ddd >> bbb.txt")

6. Kill-region in bbb.txt
(a) Type C-x h and C-w
=> bbb.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
(b) Type y

7. Yank in bbb.txt
(a) Type C-y
=> "ccc\naaa" was yanked
=> "aaa" should not be yanked

In GNU Emacs 30.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin23.6.0, NS appkit-2487.70
 Version 14.7.6 (Build 23H626)) of 2025-09-05 built on
 F9A6231BCF26.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.7.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-x --without-compress-install
 --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils japan-util rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 42101 9317) (symbols 48 5292 0) (strings 32 12648 2449)
 (string-bytes 1 313250) (vectors 16 10314)
 (vector-slots 8 199493 7553) (floats 8 21 3) (intervals 56 228 8)
 (buffers 984 13))