Subject: bug#79377: [PATCH] Return case common to all completions in try-completion

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2025 12:48:49 -0400

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Ultimately, these bugs are nicely fixed by an improvement to
>> Ftry_completion; the removed conditional (and its associated comment) in
>> Ftry_completion didn't actually improve behavior, but instead made case
>> behavior worse.  I believe the bad behavior which this conditional was
>> originally attempting to stop was removed at some point by other
>> enhancements to Ftry_completion's completion-ignore-case behavior, so
>> the conditional isn't necessary anymore.
>
> Hmm... the way I read the code (and its comment), this conditional does
> very purposefully what you don't want.  I don't know why that was
> considered desirable, so I tend to agree with you here, but I don't
> know what you think was the "bad behavior which this conditional was
> originally attempting to stop".

Ah, you're right.  I just read through the history of this function and
I can't see anything like that.  So... yeah, I guess the "bad behavior
which this conditional was originally attempting to stop" is exactly the
behavior I want.  Well, 34 years after it was originally written, I do
think deleting this conditional is better :)