Subject: bug#79367: 31.0.50; magit-commit sometimes doesn't work if diff-hl-update-async is t

From: Vincenzo Pupillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2025 16:06:27 +0200

Ciao Eli, after the commit 6c150961fd07e19b6c871d8963d6b9826ec8140f (HEAD)  to 
the master emacs --daemon (with my configuration) now uses 100% of the CPU 
even if nothing at all is being done in a client.
Checking out 6b42b974ceabba8b0215498d4a6eb5048d91514d and recompiling fix the 
issue. Could the issue be related to this commit on src/process.c?

Thanks.
Vincenzo

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 13, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2025-09-06 built on fedora
Repository revision: 2ecced627bc6553003bc32e282629273d2f9c454
Repository branch: master
System Description: Fedora Linux 42 (KDE Plasma Desktop Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-gc-mark-trace --with-native-compilation=aot
 --with-tree-sitter --with-cairo --without-pop --without-imagemagick
 --prefix=/opt/emacs_pgtk --with-file-notification=inotify
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk 'CFLAGS= -O2
 -mtune=native -march=native -pipe ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  marginalia-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-projection-hook-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/vincenzo/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250903.1516/transient hides /opt/
emacs_pgtk/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/vincenzo/.emacs.d/elpa/standard-themes-2.2.0/theme-loaddefs hides /opt/
emacs_pgtk/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny
citre-lang-fileref citre-tags citre-ctags citre-readtags
citre-readtags-tables citre-backend-interface citre-common-tag
citre-common-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree
mule-util vertico-sort tramp-cmds ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util smerge-mode diff-mode
track-changes diff mvn vterm tramp trampver tramp-integration
tramp-message tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 time-date tramp-loaddefs
face-remap color term disp-table shell pcomplete ehelp find-func
vterm-module term/xterm xterm multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-edit-lines
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more sgml-mode facemenu dom
mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core rect marginalia rg files-x vc
vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep
rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep xclip
recentf tree-widget which-key add-log compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color
server yasnippet-snippets yasnippet git-gutter editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch comp
comp-cstr warnings comp-run comp-common perspective advice thingatpt rx
ido projection-hook projection-core projection-core-match
projection-core-type projection-core-log projection-core-cache
projection-core-misc projection-core-completion s init custom-vp-gen
custom-elixir custom-lua custom-rust custom-dart custom-java custom-go
custom-perl custom-php custom-c custom-sql custom-clojure custom-lisp
custom-web custom-org custom-markup citre-config eldoc-box
corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu project consult bookmark
text-property-search orderless vertico use-package-ensure
use-package-bind-key bind-key treesit standard-dark-theme
standard-themes cl-extra help-mode windmove use-package-core elec-pair
which-func imenu saveplace winner ring minibuf-eldef easy-mmode hl-line
savehist delsel xt-mouse custom-function transient format-spec edmacro
kmacro compat custom-variable fonts cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
wid-edit cape-autoloads cargo-autoloads citre-autoloads
clj-refactor-autoloads cider-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
composer-autoloads consult-dir-autoloads consult-lsp-autoloads
consult-autoloads corfu-autoloads cuda-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
denote-explore-autoloads denote-markdown-autoloads denote-org-autoloads
denote-autoloads devdocs-autoloads dired-rsync-autoloads
disaster-autoloads docker-autoloads aio-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads extempore-mode-autoloads flutter-autoloads
git-gutter-autoloads go-translate-autoloads gptel-autoloads
highlight-indentation-autoloads hover-autoloads iedit-autoloads
inflections-autoloads kotlin-ts-mode-autoloads lice-autoloads
lsp-dart-autoloads dart-mode-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads bui-autoloads
lsp-pyright-autoloads lsp-python-refly-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads cond-let-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads mathjax-autoloads meson-mode-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads mvn-autoloads nexus-autoloads
orderless-autoloads ox-pandoc-autoloads paredit-autoloads
parseedn-autoloads parseclj-autoloads pdd-autoloads
perspective-autoloads php-runtime-autoloads plantuml-mode-autoloads
deflate-autoloads popup-autoloads projection-multi-autoloads
compile-multi-autoloads projection-autoloads pyenv-mode-autoloads
pythonic-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads qml-mode-autoloads queue-autoloads
request-autoloads restclient-autoloads rg-autoloads rustic-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads f-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads rvm-autoloads
sesman-autoloads sly-autoloads spinner-autoloads
standard-themes-autoloads tablist-autoloads transient-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads vertico-autoloads
vterm-autoloads web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads xclip-autoloads xcscope-autoloads xr-autoloads
xterm-color-autoloads yaml-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads zig-mode-autoloads reformatter-autoloads package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 361739 33614) (symbols 48 27047 0) (strings 32 92022 7674)
 (string-bytes 1 3573207) (vectors 16 43793) (vector-slots 8 520774 9737)
 (floats 8 280 6) (intervals 56 1425 0) (buffers 1064 12))

In data sabato 6 settembre 2025 12:36:54 Ora legale dell’Europa centrale, Eli 
Zaretskii ha scritto:
> > From: Zhengyi Fu <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> > Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2025 18:23:03 +0800
> > 
> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > Thanks, now installed on the master branch.
> > 
> > Thank you very much!
> 
> Thanks for helping debug this.