Subject: Re: bug#79346: igc: PolicyShouldCollectWorld

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2025 09:40:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 18:50:43 +0200
>> 
>> >> I've been using this:
>> >
>> > Thanks. I'll try to get that into my Emacs a bit later because I have
>> > some changes here that lead to conflicts.
>> 
>> Using environment variables is probably better anyway.  Eli doesn't want
>> to add command line args for the sake of MPS and with environment
>> variables its easier to keep this inside igc.c.
>
> I don't like environment variables either: they get in the way when
> you run Emacs from within another Emacs, in which case the two Emacs
> sessions might use different Emacs builds and versions.  Using
> environment variables for debugging purposes might be semi-okay, but
> people should keep the above problem in mind when they do it.
>
>> > Concerning feature/igc, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably
>> > best for my peace when I ignore its existence and don't push anything
>> > there anymore, either your changes or mine.
>> 
>> I suppose it would also be best for my peace :-)  ...
>
> If people who are working on igc abandon the branch, I don't see how
> we can ever land this on master.  Of course, if that is also better
> for your peace, then so be it...
>
>> > I could make a new branch though if you like. Just tell.
>> 
>> ... but I don't quite see how we should make progress without some
>> shared branch.
>
> Exactly.  And another branch in the repository will only muddy the
> waters and make landing this on master harder, if not impossible.
>
> Personally, I will be very sad if this work gets abandoned, but I
> cannot do anything when people express feelings like those expressed
> above.  It's eventually up to those who work on the feature and are
> motivated to get it into mainline.

>From what I see in git, as a bystander, either more or less everyone
involved has lost interest, or it's considered stable, and there's not
much more to do. Or a mixture of that. Considering that I haven't heard
of Stefan Kangas and Andrea for quite some time after initial
"enthusiasm", I think that at least these two have lost interest.

For me it looks like it either lands in master soon, or it'll inevitably
bit-rot.

Maybe sad, don't know, I have no hard feelings about that, but OTOH,
it's also only another anecdote in the 40 years of Emacs. And - if
people really have lost interest, maybe it's good if it gets abandoned
before it lands and then is another unmaintained feature like some GUI
front-ends, multi-tty and whatnot.

Just my 2 cents.