Subject: bug#79346: igc: PolicyShouldCollectWorld

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2025 09:43:42 +0300

> From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 18:50:43 +0200
> 
> >> I've been using this:
> >
> > Thanks. I'll try to get that into my Emacs a bit later because I have
> > some changes here that lead to conflicts.
> 
> Using environment variables is probably better anyway.  Eli doesn't want
> to add command line args for the sake of MPS and with environment
> variables its easier to keep this inside igc.c.

I don't like environment variables either: they get in the way when
you run Emacs from within another Emacs, in which case the two Emacs
sessions might use different Emacs builds and versions.  Using
environment variables for debugging purposes might be semi-okay, but
people should keep the above problem in mind when they do it.

> > Concerning feature/igc, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably
> > best for my peace when I ignore its existence and don't push anything
> > there anymore, either your changes or mine.
> 
> I suppose it would also be best for my peace :-)  ...

If people who are working on igc abandon the branch, I don't see how
we can ever land this on master.  Of course, if that is also better
for your peace, then so be it...

> > I could make a new branch though if you like. Just tell.
> 
> ... but I don't quite see how we should make progress without some
> shared branch.

Exactly.  And another branch in the repository will only muddy the
waters and make landing this on master harder, if not impossible.

Personally, I will be very sad if this work gets abandoned, but I
cannot do anything when people express feelings like those expressed
above.  It's eventually up to those who work on the feature and are
motivated to get it into mainline.