Subject: bug#79346: igc: PolicyShouldCollectWorld

From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2025 19:08:09 +0200

On Fri, Sep 05 2025, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]
>> It seems to me that the arena pause_time parameter must be tuned
>> together with the size(s) of the generation(s).  Smaller generations
>> require shorter pause_times.  I gravitate towards 10MB for the first
>> generation and 10 milliseconds pause time.  My feeling is that something
>> in the order of 10MB should work better than 100MB.  Of course, this
>> requires measurements to be sure.
>
> Not sure if I make sense,

No, you don't :-)

> but 10 ms of pause for GC sounds an awful
> lot to me.

The current value of the parameter is 100ms.

> Would 1 ms or 2 ms be reasonable?  They should be imperceptible.

That probably below MPS's sweet spot.  In my limited experiments, 16MB
with 10ms had the lowest overhead.

Helmut