Subject: bug#79341: 30.2; Outdated Python conditional in .gdbinit

From: Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2025 18:45:44 +0100

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2025-08-29 15:22, Jeremy Bryant wrote:
>> Whilst older Emacs versions may be used by users for a long time 'in the
>> wild', it seems unlikely that a developer would use such an old GDB.
>
> Unlikely but it happens. When I test on Solaris 10 sparc (admittedly
> an old platform, but still supported by Oracle), I use the GDB it
> supplies, which is GDB 6.2.1 (2004).

OK, noted the use case.
In that case, perhaps the time to stop supporting GDB 7 is 'not yet'

>> It would simplify this part of .gdbinit if we could remove this whole if
>> statement
>
> It's just a single "if" line, plus indenting some following lines. How
> much simplification would it really be if we removed one line and
> unindented the rest?

Is this a fundamental change?  No.  It would be a fairly trivial
amendment to your contribution, as you indeed describe, to improve
readability a little.  Should we wait?