Subject: bug#79332: 14.1.0; Running 'preview-Latex' with ```pdfxelatex```

From: 越千仞 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2025 01:05:56 +0800

Auctex works well while compiling with `C-c, C-c', but try to use
'pdfxelatex' in preview process. I guess this may due to my config with
tex-mode, and Gemini could not make it works well.  May  I get some help?
THX!

And my init_latex.el is as fellow:
;;;---*---Code:UTF8---*---
(use-package cdlatex
  :after tex
  :straight (:host github :repo "cdominik/cdlatex" )
  )

(use-package tex
  :straight
  auctex
  :hook(
  (LaTeX-mode . cdlatex-mode)
  (LaTeX-mode . reftex-mode)
  (LaTeX-mode . outline-minor-mode)
  (LaTeX-mode . TeX-fold-mode)
  (LaTeX-mode . yas-minor-mode)
  (LaTeX-mode . TeX-source-correlate-mode)
  )
  :config
  (setq TeX-auto-save t)
  (setq TeX-parse-self t)
  (setq-default TeX-master)
  (setq TeX-engine 'xetex)

  (setq TeX-PDF-mode t)
  (setq TeX-source-correlate-mode t)
  (setq TeX-source-correlate-method 'synctex)
  (setq TeX-debug-commands t)

  (eval-after-load "tex"
    '(progn
       (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
                    '("XeLaTeX" "xelatex -synctex=1 -shell-escape %t"
TeX-run-command t t :help "Run XeLaTeX") t)))
  ;; 设置 XeLaTeX 编译命令
  (setq LaTeX-command "xelatex -synctex=1 -shell-escape")
  ;; 或者更细致地，为PDF输出的预览指定
  (setq LaTeX-command-for-section-preview '("LaTeX"))

  ;; 为 AUCTeX 的预览功能显式指定编译命令
  (setq Preview-LaTeX-command "latex -synctex=1 -shell-escape")
  ;; 强制预览使用 XeLaTeX 方案
  (setq TeX-command-run-scheme '((_region_ . "XeLaTeX")))
  ;; 或者更通用的设置 (但可能影响其他模式)
  (setq TeX-command-run-scheme '("XeLaTeX"))

  (setq TeX-output-extension "pdf")
  (setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Sioyek")))

  :custom
  (LaTeX-preview-setup t)
  (preview-supports-image-type 'dvipng)
  (reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
)

(provide 'init_latex)
 ;;; init_latex.el ends here

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.18.4)
 of 2025-08-14
Package: 14.1.0

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `Modern c' with ``pdfxelatex -ini
-interaction=nonstopmode "&pdfxelatex" prv_Modern_c.ini
 "\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}"
"\input" "\detokenize{" \"Modern\ c.tex\" "}"''
/bin/sh: line 1: pdfxelatex: command not found

TeX Output exited abnormally with code 127 at Fri Aug 29 00:48:03
Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `~/Documents/notes/computer/_region_' with
``pdfxelatex -synctex=1 -shell-escape  -file-line-error   --synctex=1
"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}"
"\input" "\detokenize{" _region_.tex "}"''
/bin/sh: line 1: pdfxelatex: command not found

TeX Output exited as expected with code 127 at Fri Aug 29 00:48:03
LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-version "14.1.0"
 LaTeX-command-style '((""
"%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %(output-dir) %S%(PDFout)")
      )
 image-types '(svg webp png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
 preview-image-type 'png
 preview-image-creators '((dvipng
  (open preview-gs-open preview-dvipng-process-setup)
  (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-dvipng-close))
 (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
  (close preview-gs-close))
 (jpeg (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
  (close preview-gs-close))
 (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
  (close preview-gs-close))
 (tiff (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
  (close preview-gs-close))
 )
 preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
 preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o
%m/prev%%03d.png"
 preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %(O?pdf) %m/preview.dsc"
 preview-gs-command "/usr/bin/rungs"
 preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
"-dPrinted"
     "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
 preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
      (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
      (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
      (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
      (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
 preview-fast-conversion t
 preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
 preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
 preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
 preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
 preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
("," . preview-required-option-list)
"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined"
preview-default-preamble
"\\fi}\"%' \"\\detokenize{\" %(t-filename-only) \"}\"")
 preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
(preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
 preview-preserve-counters nil
 preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"
      "sections" "footnotes")
 preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
   ("," . preview-default-option-list)
   "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
 preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
 preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
    ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^
]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^
\\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini \\2 \\3
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\4")
    )
 preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[=
][^ ]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^
\\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*.* \"\\\\input\" \"\\\\detokenize{\"
\\(.*\\) \"}\"\\'" "\\1 \\2 \\3 -interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error "
preview-format-name " \"/AUCTEXINPUT{\" \\4 \"}\"")
      )
 preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
 preview-TeX-style-dir "/home/moonsea/.emacs.d/straight/build/auctex/latex"
 )

Output from running `/usr/bin/rungs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 10.05.1 (2025-04-29)
Copyright (C) 2025 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer
messages
 -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution
 -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
 -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: x11alpha
Available devices:
   alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 appledmp
   appleraster atx23 atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e
   bj10v bj10vh bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono
   bmp16 bmp16m bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet
   cdj1600 cdj500 cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono
   cdnj500 cfax chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cups
   declj250 deskjet devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow display dj505j djet500 djet500c
   dl2100 dnj650c docxwrite epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800
   epl5900 epl6100 epl6200 eplcolor eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson
   epsonc escp escpage faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi hl1240
   hl1250 hl7x0 hocr hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500
   hpdj500c hpdj510 hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c
   hpdj670c hpdj680c hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus
   hpdjportable ibmpro ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 iwhi
   iwlo iwlq jetp3852 jj100 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus
   laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8 lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3
   lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p ljet3
   ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200
   lp2400 lp2500 lp2563 lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100
   lp8200c lp8300c lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c
   lp8900 lp9000b lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c
   lp9600 lp9600s lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510
   md1xMono md2k md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8
   mgrmono miff24 mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage
   oce9050 ocr oki182 oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4
   pbm pbmraw pcl3 pclm pclm8 pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono
   pdfimage24 pdfimage32 pdfimage8 pdfocr24 pdfocr32 pdfocr8 pdfwrite
   pdfwrite pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl pjxl
   pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm plib
   plibc plibg plibk plibm png16 png16m png16malpha png256 png48 pngalpha
   pnggray pngmono pngmonod pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pppm pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150
   pr201 ps2write psdcmyk psdcmyk16 psdcmykog psdcmyktags psdcmyktags16
   psdrgb psdrgb16 psdrgbtags pwgraster pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl
   samsunggdi sj48 spotcmyk st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696
   tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d
   tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled32
   tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint urf urfcmyk
   urfgray urfrgb x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11gray2
   x11gray4 x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x xcf xes xpswrite
Search path:
   /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.1/Resource/Init :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.1/lib :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.1/Resource/Font :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts : /usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts :
   /usr/share/fonts/Type1 : /usr/share/fonts
Ghostscript is also using fontconfig to search for font files
For more information, see
https://ghostscript.readthedocs.io/en/gs10.05.1/Use.html
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.