Subject: 30.2; Control-X-prefix not remapable

From: Linn Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 13:01:36 -0400

Y

Updating from emacs-29 to emacs-30, I am no longer able to use C-x as a
non-prefix key. I have always hated the C-x prefix, as I use C-x for
next-line. I am still able to set C-] as my Control-X-prefix, but I can
no longer get C-x mapped to 'next-line. I had been using define-key with
a custom overriding-local-map, but that is no longer working

In GNU Emacs 30.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.1 (Build 21G217)) of 2025-08-14 built on
builder-m1-12.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2685
System Description:  macOS 26.0

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils jka-compr info shortdoc text-property-search
comp-common rx noutline outline two-column kmacro facemenu help-fns
radix-tree apropos add-log cl-extra help-mode time-date tab-line
cus-load which-func imenu ispell desktop frameset package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 124293 14842) (symbols 48 22924 4) (strings 32 46142 1443)
(string-bytes 1 1005039) (vectors 16 20113)
(vector-slots 8 476524 48761) (floats 8 121 98)
(intervals 56 8703 96) (buffers 992 17))

L i n n   S t a n t o n
[email-masked]  
(917) 208-8246

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" -- Tacitus