Subject: bug#79311: closed (Re: bug#79311: 31.0.50; Some characters not displayed when using standard-display-table)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 19:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#79311: 31.0.50; Some characters not displayed when using standard-display-table

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
79311: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=79311
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#79311: 31.0.50; Some characters not displayed when using standard-display-table
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Matija Obid <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 22:29:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Matija Obid <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 16:07:46 +0000
> 
> Steps to reproduce:
> $ emacs -Q
> #+begin_src elisp
> (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table))
> (aset standard-display-table ?> [?\〉])
> (switch-to-buffer ">")
> #+end_src

> 
> The buffer name in modeline is displayed as a square instead of parenthesis.

Thanks, should be fixed now.

Subject: 31.0.50; Some characters not displayed when using standard-display-table
From: Matija Obid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 16:07:46 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Steps to reproduce:
$ emacs -Q
#+begin_src elisp
(setq standard-display-table (make-display-table))
(aset standard-display-table ?> [?\〉])
(switch-to-buffer ">")
#+end_src

The buffer name in modeline is displayed as a square instead of parenthesis.
Note that: If I switch buffer with "C-x b > RET" buffer name is
displayed correctly.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.8,
cairo version 1.18.4)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/nnx8iifrj6jfih4sivivq17cf65aa968-bash-minimal-5.2.37/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/nnx8iifrj6jfih4sivivq17cf65aa968-bash-minimal-5.2.37/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/kpxqlh6wx83p8wqfzzggnjr0vc1ppr3v-emacs-master-31.0.50
 --enable-fast-install --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-imagemagick
 --without-xim --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wno-error=incompatible-pointer-types'
 --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT
MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/kpxqlh6wx83p8wqfzzggnjr0vc1ppr3v-emacs-master-31.0.50/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp:/gnu/store/kpxqlh6wx83p8wqfzzggnjr0vc1ppr3v-emacs-master-31.0.50/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp
  value of $LC_TIME: sl_SI.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/y118fz0hp27mkyzmgpg4p5jv98n5ibdh-emacs-compat-30.0.2.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/compat-30.0.2.0/compat hides /gnu/store/kpxqlh6wx83p8wqfzzggnjr0vc1ppr3v-emacs-master-31.0.50/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/compat

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search
time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo motif x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68013 13350) (symbols 48 6841 0) (strings 32 17773 2067)
 (string-bytes 1 659744) (vectors 16 10969)
 (vector-slots 8 152397 8095) (floats 8 24 2) (intervals 56 303 10)
 (buffers 1064 12))

-- 
Regards,
Matija