Subject: Re: bug#79305: 31.0.50; MODE-set-explicitly change caused regressions in bind-map

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 08:59:31 +0100

Hello,

Thanks.  This was not intended to be a breaking change.

On Sun 24 Aug 2025 at 03:17pm -07, Aaron Jensen wrote:

> This may be as expected as it sounds like MODE-set-explicitly is meant
> to be internal, but I wanted to report it in case regressions were not
> expected.
>
> The change:
> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/c05ea64d8268315093673f8be29d4ceb92198b81
>
> The 3rd-party library's use of *-set-explicitly:
> https://github.com/justbur/emacs-bind-map/blob/f23cfc13222a39e686d28a83ff83e9901d8908b2/bind-map.el#L180
>
> After the change, bind-map no longer successfully overrides maps. I
> don't know the specifics of why it doesn't work, but correcting the
> formatting of the name to use the format string "%s--set-explicitly"
> restores functionality.
>
> I've opened an issue in bind-map so that it can be addressed there if
> that's appropriate. Please feel free to close this if this is expected
> and acceptable.

bind-map shouldn't use an internal variable like that.

If there is no other way for bind-map to achieve what it needs, and we
think what it is trying to do is a reasonable interaction with
define-globalized-minor-mode, we should undo the renaming of the
variable.

Otherwise we should declare the variable obsolete instead of just
renaming it outright, so that any other third party package authors have
a chance to make updates.

Stefan, Jonas, what do you think?

-- 
Sean Whitton