Subject: bug#79298: patch: full color in windows terminal

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2025 07:56:05 +0300

> Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2025 18:00:49 +0000
> From: Ewan <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > AFAIK users can choose to use the legacy ConHost even on newer Windows
> > > versions, and I wouldn't want us to have to tell the users to tweak
> > > their Emacs should it turn out ConHost causes problems with the
> > > Virtual Terminal control sequences.
> > 
> > 
> > Three things give me comfort on this front. One, Microsoft has added
> > "support" for ASCII sequences (at least for color) to the Console.
> 
> I have confirmed that the conhost.exe which ships with Win11 does
> support the full range of ASCII control sequences. Emacs with the 
> above patch has no apparent differences from 30.2 release when run
> with -q in ConHost. I don't have any older systems to test this on.

I know that Windows 11 has ConHost which supports the control
sequences.  It's the potential issues with older systems (AFAIR,
ConHost premiered in XP) that I'm bothered with.  Although I don't
expect any such issues, it would be nice not to risk them at all, by
keeping as much of the current code as possible.  If someone does
report such issues, testing a fix for them will be quite tricky, given
the almost non-existent access to such old systems, and the fact that
Emacs compiled with MinGW64 cannot even run on them.