Subject: Re: bug#79298: patch: full color in windows terminal

From: Ewan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 12:06:22 +0000

> Hmm... the fact that some of the code is "inherited from someone else"
> worries me. If the code you took from someone else's work is
> substantial (more than, say, 15 lines), we will need that other person
> to assign the copyright to the FSF, in addition to your assignment.
> Can you tell who is that other person and how much of the code he/she
> wrote?

The initial patch drew heavily (>15 lines) from this public fork of emacs:
https://github.com/tsuu32/emacs-w32con-vt

>From breadcrumbs in the working tree and other GNU mailing list discussions,
I gather the owner of that repo has this address: tsuucat <at> icloud.com,
and has contributed patches in the past, but I don't know them.

The revised patch differs substantially, but I suspect it will keep some
small chunks of color-computing code, as the forumulas are what they are.

> > Will do (just need to figure out where the --color arg gets processed).
> It is processed in lisp/startup.el.

Thank you!

> At least the description of --color in the user manual should be
> adjusted: it currently says that it has no effect on Windows. I think
> the way to turn on/off 24-bit colors in a running session should also
> be mentioned in the MS-Windows-specific appendix to the user manual.

I'll take a look!