Subject: Re: bug#79295: [Bug] Artifacts in margin with display-line-numbers-mode (relative)

From: Marco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 20:25:38 +0200

Hi,

I checked the `alpha-background' option yesterday and it still occured.

Then there was some update also updating MESA to 25.2.1 
(https://docs.mesa3d.org/relnotes/25.2.1.html) and since installing this 
I didn't see these artifacts again.

It's strange cause there was no bug report pointing to this, but maybe 
something changed under the hood. If it comes back I´ll revive the thread.

Best and thanks!

Marco

Am 27.08.25 um 03:44 schrieb Po Lu:
> Marco Neumaier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I checked already if it depends on fractional scaling, but that´s not
>> the case. Will double check though.  My CPU is an AMD 9700X and i´m
>> using its iGPU. I´m also running a very recent MESA version (25.x, I
>> have to check the exact version) and I also just found this thread:
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/12809 where also
>> Emacs is mentioned.  Maybe it´s related.
> What if you configure `alpha-background' to a nearly opaque value such
> as 99?  It should suffice to prevent the compositor from regarding
> Emacs's frames as completely opaque and disable the optimizations I
> suspect are producing these artifacts.