Subject: Re: bug#79288: [PATCH] Add edebug-bounce-to-previous-value

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2025 13:28:23 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2025 03:51:44 -0400
> 
> > Yes, sounds useful, thanks.  Stefan, any additional comments or
> > suggestions?
> 
> For my own use, I get the impression that I'd find it more useful to ask
> the user to type in the form whose value we want to "bounce to".
> 
> But in any case, I also often need to do various other things than just
> "see" a particular buffer position (so I tend to just pop up a new
> window/frame to display the relevant buffer and then use `M-:` in
> there), so maybe I'm not the main target.

FWIW, IME it is quite frequent to want to see where is the buffer
position whose value I just saw as the result of evaluation.  This is
important when debugging code that computes those positions
incorrectly.  The (very inconvenient) alternative is to have another
Emacs session with the relevant buffer displayed, where I can try
these positions.

The problem I have with popping a new window or frame is that when you
resume stepping through the program, Emacs removes them from display,
at least by default.