Subject: Re: bug#79278: [PATCH] Add section "Semantic Linefeed Filling" to Emacs user manual

From: Roi Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2025 15:29:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'd like first to see if this is used widely enough to warrant being
> mentioned in the manual.  How about asking on help-gnu-emacs or via
> Reddit?

What would you ask specifically?

Also, given that the feature is already in core, what are the criteria
for deciding what goes in the manual and what does not?  This specific
feature provides user-facing commands and variables, where should I
document the details?  Only in the corresponding doc strings?  What
about users who are not aware of the concept?  This change in the manual
may allow them to learn about something that they could find useful and
Emacs implements.

I'm just asking to have a better understanding that I can apply to
future patches.

In any case, my main goal is for the information about the feature to be
self-contained.  I don't want to depend on external URLs, which can
change or stop working (actually, one of the referenced sites was down
recently).  Can I use the doc string of `fill-region-as-paragraph-semlf'
for that?

        Roi