Subject: Re: bug#79274: 30.1; isearch should assume fresh string after hiatus

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2025 13:49:31 +0300

tags 79274 notabug
thanks

> From: Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2025 08:22:10 +0800
> 
> You know how CTRL+G, CTRL+F search in big name browsers works:
> if one does something else for a while and comes back, the browser
> assumes that any string entered is a new search, not an addition to the
> current string.
> 
> E.g., I search for Trump. A few minutes later I then type in Nixon.
> Well the browser knows that I now want to search for Nixon, not
> "TrumpNixon".
> 
> That's how I think Emacs' isearch should work by default.

The Emacs behavior is a feature, and a very convenient one.  It makes
it very easy to make small corrections to the previous search string,
where the other applications require you to type the entire modified
string anew.  It would be unthinkable to change this after Emacs
behaved like that for such a long time.

> Yes, you might say "All you need to do is type... first".

Exactly.