Subject: bug#79268: Build error

From: Théophile BRÉZOT <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 13:20:50 +0200

Hi,

I have an uncaught exception upon running `guix build -f guix.scm` in
the v.3.0.10 Guile source repository. It seems the tool-chain deleted
the logs, so I am reproducing here the error message and attaching the
failing test's `gz` file:

```
FAIL: test-out-of-memory                                                                                                                                                                           
============================================================================                                                                                                                       
Testsuite summary for GNU Guile 3.0.99-git                                                                                                                                                         
============================================================================                                                                                                                       
# TOTAL: 43                                                                                                                                                                                        
# PASS:  41                                                                                                                                                                                        
# SKIP:  1                                                                                                                                                                                         
# XFAIL: 0                                                                                                                                                                                         
# FAIL:  1                                                                                                                                                                                         
# XPASS: 0                                                                                                                                                                                         
# ERROR: 0                                                                                                                                                                                         
============================================================================                                                                                                                       
See test-suite/standalone/test-suite.log for debugging.                                                                                                                                            
Some test(s) failed.  Please report this to [email-masked],                                                                                                                                     
together with the test-suite.log file (gzipped) and your system                                                                                                                                    
information.  Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                              
============================================================================                                                                                                                       
make[6]: *** [Makefile:3205: test-suite.log] Error 1                                                                                                                                               
make[6]: *** Deleting file 'test-suite.log'                                                                                                                                                        
make[6]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source/test-suite/standalone'                                                                                                   
make[5]: *** [Makefile:3340: check-TESTS] Error 2                                                                                                                                                  
make[5]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source/test-suite/standalone'                                                                                                   
make[4]: *** [Makefile:3706: check-am] Error 2                                                                                                                                                     
make[4]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source/test-suite/standalone'                                                                                                   
make[3]: *** [Makefile:3708: check] Error 2                                                                                                                                                        
make[3]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source/test-suite/standalone'                                                                                                   
make[2]: *** [Makefile:2385: check-recursive] Error 1                                                                                                                                              
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source/test-suite'                                                                                                              
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2186: check-recursive] Error 1                                                                                                                                              
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-3.0.99-git.drv-0/source'                                                                                                                         
make: *** [Makefile:2484: check] Error 2                                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Test suite failed, dumping logs.                                                                                                                                                                   
error: in phase 'check': uncaught exception:                                                                                                                                                       
%exception #<&invoke-error program: "make" arguments: ("check" "-j" "4" "--max-load=4") exit-status: 2 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f>                                                            
phase `check' failed after 14.9 seconds                                                                                                                                                            
command "make" "check" "-j" "4" "--max-load=4" failed with status 2                                                                                                                                
build process 6 exited with status 256                                                                                                                                                             
builder for `/gnu/store/ipn28v1z7rzan4xby9zavrkivzkg1gc6-guile-3.0.99-git.drv' failed with exit code 1                                                                                             
build of /gnu/store/ipn28v1z7rzan4xby9zavrkivzkg1gc6-guile-3.0.99-git.drv failed                                                                                                                   
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/ip/n28v1z7rzan4xby9zavrkivzkg1gc6-guile-3.0.99-git.drv.gz'.                                                                                                  
guix build: error: build of `/gnu/store/ipn28v1z7rzan4xby9zavrkivzkg1gc6-guile-3.0.99-git.drv' failed                                                                                              
```

My system is:

```
> uname -a
Linux debian 6.12.38+deb13-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.12.38-1 (2025-07-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux
```