Subject: bug#79264: IP Block from ftp.gnu.org

From: Ian Kelling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 19:52:31 -0400

The ftp.gnu.org server was overwhelmed with too many requests last week
and it is very likely that we noticed that IP as one which had many
requests and fit a pattern that did not make sense to give priority to.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/conan-io/conan-center-index/master/recipes/libtool/all/conandata.yml

In the above yaml, there are links to ftp.gnu.org, but they should be to
to ftpmirror.gnu.org. The bottom of the page at https://ftp.gnu.org
mentions the mirror system and links to http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html
for more information. That is the system we rely on for serving files
far beyond the FSF's own bandwidth.

That will solve your immediate problem, but downloading the same files
hundreds of times into the same local network is not great, it is
unnecessarily using other people's bandwidth which costs them
money. There are 2 good things you can do about this. 1: you could keep
a local cache. 2: you could host a gnu ftp mirror yourself, reducing the
load on other mirrors. If other people are downloading from your mirror
more than you are downloading from other mirrors, then it would be much
more reasonable to be downloading the same file many times over.

-- 
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF
https://fsf.org | https://gnu.org