Subject: bug#7925: 23.2.91; report-emacs-bug doesn't like curly quotes

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:05:20 -0500

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Pretty much every time I use report-emacs-bug, I get the message
>>> “Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal?” There are two problems here:
>>> 
>>> 1. From looking at the code in report-emacs-bug-hook, it really means
>>> “non-ASCII characters”, as it looks for any non-7-bit character, not
>>> just non-7-bit letters.
>>> 
>>> 2. In this age of UTF-8, and, for example, my use of smart-quotes-mode,
>>> what do you have against non-ASCII characters? Perhaps you’d like to try
>>> to make sure that mail to report-emacs-bug is in English, but for that
>>> you should be using some form of linguistic analysis.
>
>> Maybe this question dates from the days when email was ASCII only.  At
>> the least, this check ought to only be applied to the mail headers (MIME
>> is needed for non-ASCII in headers).
>
> Why not drop it altogether?

Since no one has spoken up in defense of keeping the check, I've done
that.