Subject: Re: bug#7925: 23.2.91; report-emacs-bug doesn't like curly quotes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:26:59 -0500

> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:33:02 +0000
> From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> >  Also, various MUAs, even in Emacs, might convert
> > non-ASCII characters into illegible mess.
> 
> Then they should be fixed to encode the text properly and specify the
> encoding. It's a bit late in the day to be working around programs
> that can't cope with non-7-bit encodings!

The goal is to make dug reporting and analysis as simple and efficient
as possible.  Not to fix all the possible bugs that are unrelated to
the one being reported.

> > Maybe
> > some kind of list of allowed non-ASCII characters will be good enough.
> 
> It would be better than nothing, but the list will never be long
> enough.

We have Unicode character properties to help us out (see "Character
Properties" in the ELisp manual), and also charset properties.  So it
doesn't have to be a list of literal characters.

> For example, what's wrong with using symbols such as arrows or
> smileys, or, in your own example, ellipses?

That the fonts installed on the recipient's machine don't support
them?