Subject: bug#7925: 23.2.91; report-emacs-bug doesn't like curly quotes

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:19:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:48:46 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Actually, this was added in Emacs 20 or 21, when Emacs got support for
>> > multi-lingual editing.  the reason was to make sure bug reports are
>> > written in English and not in some other languages that maintainers
>> > could not command.  Also, various MUAs, even in Emacs, might convert
>> > non-ASCII characters into illegible mess.
>> 
>> If this is the reason, IMO it is pretty silly. You already say "please
>> write in English" in the template message. If somebody can ignore that,
>> they can certainly ignore this mystery meat message, too -- e.g. I had
>> no idea what it meant and I doubt most other people understand "convert
>> non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal?" as "please write in English" either.
>
> The non-ASCII characters could be part of a Lisp backtrace (from a
> byte-compiled function).  In that case, conversion to hex is a
> reasonable thing to d.

I don't see why mangling any kind of information would be reasonable,
unless of course you mean proper encoding of non-ascii content which any
functional MUA does, but that should be (and is) done automatically
without any kind of user intervention. In any case, this reasoning is
quite different from the one stated in your previous message (although
it doesn't make much more sense to me).

  Štěpán