Subject: Re: bug#7925: 23.2.91; report-emacs-bug doesn't like curly quotes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:01:01 -0500

> From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:48:46 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Actually, this was added in Emacs 20 or 21, when Emacs got support for
> > multi-lingual editing.  the reason was to make sure bug reports are
> > written in English and not in some other languages that maintainers
> > could not command.  Also, various MUAs, even in Emacs, might convert
> > non-ASCII characters into illegible mess.
> 
> If this is the reason, IMO it is pretty silly. You already say "please
> write in English" in the template message. If somebody can ignore that,
> they can certainly ignore this mystery meat message, too -- e.g. I had
> no idea what it meant and I doubt most other people understand "convert
> non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal?" as "please write in English" either.

The non-ASCII characters could be part of a Lisp backtrace (from a
byte-compiled function).  In that case, conversion to hex is a
reasonable thing to d.