Subject: bug#7925: 23.2.91; report-emacs-bug doesn't like curly quotes

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:33:02 +0000

On 30 January 2011 11:13, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> the reason was to make sure bug reports are
> written in English and not in some other languages that maintainers
> could not command.

In that case, I suggest it be dropped. It's a bizarre way to try to
enforce English (I could quite happily write Greek or German in plain
ASCII, for example), and as has been pointed out, there is already a
clear request to write in English.

>  Also, various MUAs, even in Emacs, might convert
> non-ASCII characters into illegible mess.

Then they should be fixed to encode the text properly and specify the
encoding. It's a bit late in the day to be working around programs
that can't cope with non-7-bit encodings!

> Maybe
> some kind of list of allowed non-ASCII characters will be good enough.

It would be better than nothing, but the list will never be long
enough. For example, what's wrong with using symbols such as arrows or
smileys, or, in your own example, ellipses?

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org