Subject: Re: bug#79249: 30.2; Fonts in Emacs 30.2 vs 30.1

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2025 09:27:24 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2025 21:28:50 +0100
> From:  Jeremy Bryant via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> System: GNU/Linux, compiling Emacs 30.2 from the release tarball.
> 
> My usual init file loads a font in Emacs 30.1 which isn't found by Emacs
> 30.2.
> It appears that the font-family-list is much smaller.
> This is on the same system.
> 
> Emacs 30.1:
> (length (font-family-list))
> 3719
> 
> Emacs 30.2:
> (length (font-family-list))
> 151

Is this in "emacs -Q"?  If so, what is your Emacs configuration?  You
haven't posted any of the details collected by report-emacs-bug about
your platform and Emacs build, so it's hard to think about possible
reasons.

Also, did you build both Emacs 30.1 and 30.2 with the same
configure-time options and the same optional features?

> Is the font subsystem different in 30.2?

It isn't supposed to be different, and on my system I get the same
length of the list.

Are you sure this is not some local configuration issue related to how
Fontconfig (assuming your build uses it) reports fonts to Emacs?  Or
maybe something changed on your system between these two builds?

If nothing else gives a clue, can you bisect on the release branch
between the "emacs-30.1" and "emacs-30.2" tags?  I've looked at the
commit log message and couldn't find any change which could affect
that, but maybe it's something completely unintended and not obvious.