Subject: 30.1; global-whitespace-mode doesn’t enable whitespace-mode in remember-notes buffer

From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2025 02:36:48 -0400

Hello Emacs Maintainers,  global-whitespace-mode does not enable 
whitespace-mode in remember-notes-buffer-name buffer.  This 
happens because whitespace-enable-predicate prevents 
whitespace-mode from activating in buffers whose names start with 
‘*’, with only *scratch* being an
exception. While it makes sense for buffers like *Messages* or
*Ibuffer*, it unintentionally affects remember-notes-buffer-name
buffers, which should likely be treated similarly to *scratch*.

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -Q

M-x global-whitespace-mode
M-x remember-notes
C-h v whitespace-mode

Value of whitespace-mode is nil, indicating whitespace-mode is not
enabled in the remember-notes-buffer-name buffer

Thank you for your time!

* * *

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.43,
cairo version 1.18.2)
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/m0xdsa8cfq6mq1kxgxmpmpg71la4f0b9-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/m0xdsa8cfq6mq1kxgxmpmpg71la4f0b9-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash --prefix=/gnu/store/416vvmsc3n33wsliga55ljzmcvhyry54-emacs-pgtk-30.1 --enable-fast-install --with-pgtk --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

--
Regards,
Anush Veeranala